Iqbal Mahmood was born in Chandpur in 1955. His father Mohammad Abdul Latif was a high school teacher. He had his schooling in Assasuni High School, Satkhira and passed SSC in 1972. He studied in Notre Dame College, Dhaka and passed HSC in 1974. He completed honors and Master’s degrees in Public Administration from Dhaka University. He holds a Master degree in Policy Studies from the University of New South Wales, Australia with specialization in International policy analysis and development.
Iqbal Mahmood joined in civil service as a member of BCS (Administration) cadre in January 1981. He worked as a Magistrate, Assistant Commissioner, Upazila Nirbahi Officer, Additional Deputy Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner at the field level. His employment history is given below:
- Employment with the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Senior Secretary, Economic Relations Division, Ministry of Finance, Dhaka
(Oct 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Secretary, Ministry of Public Administration, Dhaka (Feb 2009 – Oct 2011)
- Secretary, Ministry of Communications & Railways, Dhaka (Oct 2008 – Feb 2009)
- Secretary, Ministry of Posts & Telecommunications, Dhaka (Jan 2008 – Oct 2008)
- Additional Secretary, Ministry of Establishment, Dhaka (Mar 2007 – Jan 2008)
- Additional Secretary, Economic Relations Division, Ministry of Finance, Dhaka
(Dec 2006 – Mar 2007)
- Joint Secretary, Ministry of Fisheries & Livestock, Dhaka (Apr 2005 – Dec 2006)
- Deputy Secretary, Economic Relations Division, Ministry of Finance, Dhaka
(Feb 2002 – Sep 2004)
- Employment with National and International Development Organizations
- Alternate Executive Director, Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila, Philippines ( Dec 2012 – Jan 2015)
- Executive Director, Islamic Development Bank, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (Apr 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Member of Board of Trustees, The ICDDR,B-Center for Health and Population research, Dhaka, Bangladesh (Oct 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Chairman, Infrastructure Development Company Limited (IDCOL), Bangladesh (Oct 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Chairman, Infrastructure Investment Facilitation Center (IIFC), Bangladesh (Oct 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Vice-Chairman, Saudi-Bangladesh Industrial and Agricultural Investment Company Ltd (Oct 2011 – Dec 2012)
- Chairman, Tele talk Mobile Phone Company (Jan 2008 – Oct 2008)
- Chairman, Bangladesh Telecommunication Company Limited –BTCL (Jul 2008 – Oct 2008)
- Chairman, Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Ltd
- Member of Board of Directors, Sonali Bank Limited, Bangladesh (Mar 2007 – Oct 2008)
- Member of Board of Directors, Bangladesh Krishi Bank (Apr 2005 – Dec 2006)
- Advisor, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JAICA), Dhaka, Bangladesh (Oct 2004 – Mar 2005)
He participated in many foreign training in different fields. He is a widely traveled person. He also attended large number of International Conferences and senior level meetings as a delegate of the Government of Bangladesh.
Iqbal Mahmood has taken over the charges as Chairman of Anti-Corruption Commission, Bangladesh on 14 March 2016.
He is married and blessed with two children. His wife Khadija Begum is a physician and did her Master’s in Public Health from the University of New South Wales, Australia. She did her Ph.D. in Nutritional Biology from the University of California, Davis. His daughter is a physician and son is a student of economics.